Friday, February 4, 2011

Tomato Parmesan Soup

1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp basil
1/2 tsp pepper
salt
4 cans (15 oz) tomatoes - crushed, diced, stewed, whatever you have on hand
2 C chicken broth
3 Tbsp sugar
3/4 C parmesan cheese - or less/none if you are feeding my dad  (I think the original recipe calls for some ridiculous amount like 1 1/2 C, I've cut it down considerably)
1-2 C cream (I've also used evaporated milk or normal milk, whatever is on hand) - I've done as little as 3/4 C and it was still good.

In large pot saute onion and garlic.  Add basil, pepper, salt, tomatoes, sugar, and broth.  Bring to boil.  Simmer for 1 hour. If the soup looks too chunky (depending on what type of canned tomatoes you used) put in a blender or food processor.  Add parmesan, simmer for another 10 minutes.  Add cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment