Saturday, July 2, 2011

Bacon and Goat Cheese Chicken



This was delicious!  And I was so excited because I had all the ingredients (or close enough substitutions) on hand so I could put off going to the store just a few more days!

2 Tbsp green onions, diced (I didn't have green onions, so I sauteed some yellow onion)
1-2 slices cooked, crumbled bacon
3 oz goat cheese (we used feta)
2 Chicken breasts
Salt and Pepper

Combine onions, bacon, and cheese.  Cut a slit into the thick end of the chicken breasts to form a pocket.  Divide cheese evenly and stuff into the chickens.  Secure with wooden picks if needed.  Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.  Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with some olive oil.  Add chicken and saute for 2 minutes on each side.  Bake at 350 for 15ish minutes.

Geoff and I always share a chicken breast - that's about the right sized portion of meat for a balanced meal with other sides (veggies, fruits, whole grains) - so I only made one chicken breast and we cut it in half.  Added bonus: smaller portions of meat cuts the grocery bill down!

Original Recipe from Cooking Light Jan/Feb 2011 by Julianna Grimes

2 comments:

  1. This looks fabulous. I love that you had feta and bacon sitting around in your fridge. I think I should make those regulars in my fridge as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna, I freeze the bacon in sets of 4 or 5 strips so I can pull out just enough for a breakfast or dinner. Thaw it and then it cooks up just fine. And feta should be a staple in everyone's fridge

    ReplyDelete