Monday, June 18, 2012

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies


A few years ago when visiting Colorado, my dad and I decided to go on the search for the best chocolate chip cookie recipe.  All cookies were judged in comparison to those found at Paradise Bakery (that elusive, delicious cookie) and were tested both warm out of the oven and fully cooled.  During that five day trip to Colorado we tried at least 3 different recipes but to no avail.  Since then I have continued to try new recipes, searching for The Recipe.  But finally, the long awaited cookie-recipe-so-good-it-will-knock-your-socks-off is here. (Unless you are a fox.  As we all know, Fox in socks and Knox in box.)  My mother found this recipe.  I never asked her where she got it.  I was too distracted by my socks having just been knocked off.  Read this post.  And then immediately go pull out some butter and start making cookies because these really are the best cookies ever. 



1 C. butter, unsalted, softened (no substitutes)
1 C. margarine, softened
2 C. brown Sugar
2 C. white sugar
4 eggs
2 Tbs. real vanilla
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
4 1/2 C. all-purpose flour
1 C. old-fashioned oatmeal ground into a flour (I put this in the blender and let it go until it is very fine)
2-3 C semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 C. chopped pecans (optional)

Cream butter and margarine for 1 minute.  Add sugars and vanilla.  Beat for another 3 minutes.  Add eggs.  Beat for another 2 minutes.  Add the dry ingredients (everything but the chocolate chips and the nuts).  Do not over-beat!  In fact, as soon as it starts looking even partially mixed together, I add the chocolate chips and nuts gently by hand. If needed, you can add a tiny bit more flour.  But it's ok if its a little sticky (stick it in the fridge for 15 minutes and it will become more manageable).

Scoop out balls.  Slightly flatten.  Bake for 10-12 minutes at 350.

Options:  I once made this recipe with chocolate chips, chopped pecans, and coconut.  It was amazing.  Also, the recipe is huge.  I always cut it in half and even then we still have plenty of dough to keep in the freezer for those late night cookie cravings. 

Weren't those good?  With that said, I still have my eyes on 3 more recipes I want to try.  Why haven't I tried them yet?  Because they all require refrigerating the dough for 24-48 hours.  And when were talking cookies, patience isn't a virtue of mine.  Whenever I look at those recipes, I decide I want cookies NOW and choose a different recipe.  I know I could use those recipes and not wait the 24-48 hours, but I feel like I need to give them a real try, following the directions, before I judge them.  Maybe one day I'll get to them.


Once again, I am a mean parent.  I didn't let Little Boy eat any cookies.  Instead he eats Green Beans.  Not his favorite.  In fact, probably his least favorite but when mixed with carrots or sweet potatoes, he doesn't even know he's eating them.



How to cook Green Beans?  Wash and snap off the ends of fresh green beans.  Steam or boil in a little water for 8-10 minutes.  Puree beans and cooking water.  Add more water to reach desired consistency if necessary.  Freeze in ice cube trays or muffin tins.

2 comments:

  1. These are indeed yummy. But I recommend a significant increase in the quantity of chocolate chips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But who actually measures the chocolate chips. In the end we usually "accidentally" dump in more than the recipe calls for.

      Delete