Friday, April 15, 2011

Banana Bread

I adore banana bread.  Not the super sugary stuff that you can buy from stores or bakeries, but the delicious, hearty bread my mom always made.  Favorite way to eat it: toasted with a little butter. (If only butter weren't so repulsive sounding right now.  I keep having vivid dreams where I eat something with butter on it and then immediately throw it up because it was so nasty.  To many dreams like that, and you'd want to stop eating butter, too.)

Mix together:
1 C sugar
2 Tbsp oil
1 egg

Stir in:
3/4 C milk
1 C mashed bananas

Sift together and then add:
2 1/2 C flour (I do 1 C brown flour, the rest white)
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Add:
3/4-1 C shopped walnuts

Pour into well greased bread pans.  Bake at 350 for 50+ minutes (I forgot to set the timer, so I don't know how long mine actually baked).  Remove from pan onto a wire rack to cool.

This is the only recipie where I actually sift the dry ingredients together before adding them to the wet.  I almost always skip that step, but I've found that if I skip that step for banana bread, it doesn't turn out as well.

Original Recipe from my Grandma!

No comments:

Post a Comment